Friday, September 11

Thursday, 9/10 – DAY 6

(No, I haven't forgotten that I owe you Part II of Wednesday, and a ton of pictures. Maybe tomorrow?)

Left Grand Canyon, AZ at 7:05 AM (PST) and arrived La Jolla, CA at 3:30 PM (PST). 8 hours driving, about 495 miles.

Quite chilly when we left, +55%. (Thought it was odd that the hotel displayed the temp with a plus sign in front until I remembered there are probably negative temps there in the winter, so plus and minus signs are necessary.) Within 2 hours, though, the temp had climbed to 99 degrees, eventually hitting 100 just outside of Barstow, CA. Talk about extreme!
Desert surrounded us in western Arizona and eastern California, rising up gentle slopes to surrounding mountains that seemed to grown in height with each passing mile. Lots of low-ground cacti, sand and rock.

Shortly after crossing the California border, we passed through an inspection checkpoint. The official took one look at the fully loaded Blazer, kind of rolled his eyes and asked if we were transporting any plants, vegetables or fruit. He seemed quite relieved when I said no. Then he winked at me, and we were off.

California gas prices were a shock. $3.59 per gallon, regular unleaded. Up until now, we’d enjoyed lower than normal gas prices, since most states we have passed through have lower gasoline taxes than NC.

We switched up the routine for our last leg, with me driving the morning and Samuel taking the afternoon shift. Samuel worked industriously while I drove, finishing his loan paperwork on-line as well as opening up new bank accounts and updating his calendar for grad school activities over the next few weeks. He reminded me of Jimmy Connors, typing furiously away on his iPhone, taking a break and blowing on his hands, trying to cool off those fiery thumbs! An iPhone is looking more and more appealing. Dear Santa, if you bring me an iPhone, please bring me a new pair of glasses so I can see what I’m doing.

We also made a last-minute change in our route, deciding to take I-40 to its terminus and traveling south on 15/215, skirting LA, down to La Jolla. Saved 2 hours, and we can now say we’ve driven the entire length of I-40, cross-country, from Wilmington, NC to Barstow, CA. (Though not on this one trip.) While it would have been nice to see southwestern Arizona, Samuel is ready to get there and get settled. And me? I’d like to keep driving a few more days.

Train sightings have been numerous today. Long trains, with multiple engines up front and at the back. The rail industry appears to be alive and thriving out west.

Traffic is heavy for the first time west of Barstow, probably because people actually live around here as contrasted with the sparsely populated areas we’ve traveled prior to today. Glad Samuel is driving and not me. By the way, California drivers are crazy. Can’t tell you how many times some jerk cut in front of us today. Samuel skillfully avoided hitting them, and never said one bad word.

Air quality around San Bernadina is horrible. Either smoke from the LA fires, smog or both. What a sad contrast to the crisp, clean air we enjoyed at the Grand Canyon. The palm trees are pretty, though. Temp is up to 102 degrees, no wait…108 degrees. What a day of extremes!

By the time we reached La Jolla (just north of San Diego, where UCSD is located), the temps had returned to a very mild 75 degrees. We listened to the Eagles “Hell Freezes Over” CD on our way in, particularly enjoying my all-time favorite “Hotel California”.

La Jolla is beautiful, and Samuel’s west coast home is awesome. We unloaded the Blazer, with Gil’s assistance. Then we set about cleaning his room. Just a little elbow grease on the floor, shelves and window was all it took. We made a quick trip to Wally-World for a few items, and will look for a bed and other items tomorrow. The futon will have to do for a day or two.

I’ve met all of his housemates, Gil, John, Kerry and Ryan, and they all seem pretty cool. He’s out in the kitchen/dining room getting to know them, and I’m cozy on the futon blogging. Will head out soon for my room at the Travel Lodge, just down the block. Samu needs his space now, and I need mine.

More later on La Jolla, UCSD campus, San Diego, and the ocean. Did I mention that it’s just a short 3-block walk from his house to the Pacific?

No comments:

Post a Comment